Oh what a week!!! On Monday, 9/28 we went to music class with some gals from work and their little kids. Then I took Izzy to daycare while I took a nap for work that night. Isabelle came home from daycare with a fever of 101.7. I thought it was maybe from teething but her daycare lady said that it was too high for that. Since she hadn't had a fever with either of her 2 ear infections, I took her to the Dr. Our NP, Julie said it was probably viral because her ears looked fine and she was already on an antibiotic for an ear infection. I stayed home from work that night since Daniel was out of town. I was able to keep her fever a bit down with Tylenol and baths. She was a little more cranky than usual but was fairly happy for the most part. Tuesday, Isabelle still had a fever. Since it had been going on for 24 hours, Julie wanted to see her. She checked her O2 sats (97%), drew some blood for a CBC, and did a chest Xray. Izzy didn't like getting her blood drawn but really didn't like the chest xray! They put them in this little torture chamber - not really but its this little seat where their legs hang down and a clear cylinder comes around them to help hold them in place. I had to hold her arms above her head and she hated it! The xray techs commented on how strong she was, she wouldn't lift her arms higher than her shoulders. Ugh, it was awful! I even cried! Poor thing, she was screaming her little lungs out! Anyway, Isabelle's WBC was at 26,000 and the xray showed right perihylar pneumonia. Julie told me that they would probably have to admit her to the hospital to keep an eye on her. That made me cry even more. She called the Dr on call, sent the xray to him and filled him on what was going on. They decided since she wasn't in distress (no retractions, no issues breathing, pulse ox of 97%) that she didn't have to be admitted. Julie then found out I was a NICU nurse and felt better sending her home since I could watch for signs of distress. Isabelle got a shot of Rocephin and we were sent home.
Wednesday we had to go back to the Dr for follow up. Julie called to check on Isabelle as we were leaving the house. How sweet! Today, her WBC was at 19,000. Izzy still didn't like her bood drawn but who does?
Thursday was another follow up. WBC at 13,000 so she was getting better. Today her pulse ox was at 100%! Looks like she is definitely on the mend! We have a follow up appt in a week (another chest xray) and a new antibiotic.
No comments:
Post a Comment