Tuesday, April 26, 2011

What's Itching Ethan Daniel?



He was scratching like crazy behind his knees!! His back was all red, dry and splotchy too. But no naked pics for the blog...



Today Ethan had his follow up appointment with his regular doctor for a weight check. He weighed 15lbs 5 oz. That's better....I really think the scale was goofy but what do I know. Maybe he wasn't eating well because he was sick, maybe he was spitting too much up. Oh yeah, they started him on a reflux med at his 4mo appt and it seems to be helping. He still spits up but seems to be more comfortable - not so grunty and its easier for him to toot.







I asked again about all the baby eczema he seems to have. She wasn't too concerned with it since all this red, itchy spots are in the normal places for babies: behind the knees, underside of wrists, and in the crook of his arms. But he looked really good today, not as red and dry as he has in the past. Of course. He always looks pretty for the Dr. I explained that I think he's uncomfortable since he's always itching his head and rubbing it back and forth on my shoulder. He's a restless sleeper; always scratching and rubbing his eyes. He's drawn blood several times on his forehead and scalp, no matter how many times or how close I trim his little nails. She prescribed a steriod cream to use sparingly for a couple of days to see if that can tame it down a bit. Hope it works. In the meantime, I have started double rinsing all his clothes and changed our detergent to a free & clear kind. I have already been using Dreft for the kids' clothes and a very mild baby wash and lotion. And I guess I will start cutting out milk from my diet. Or at least cutting back on it. Just to see if that helps at all. Daniel is allergic to milk so maybe Ethan got that gene too. Our Dr said that usually milk allergies will show up as an intestinal upset like bloody diarrhea, not eczema. However, I talked to a lactation consultant and she said it does show up as exzema. Ugh. Either way, I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I miss the ice cream already.

No comments:

Post a Comment